Friday, February 6, 2009

Mio el Camino de Santiago de Compostela - 5

Day 5


I woke up and remembered it's Good Friday.


I went downstairs to eat breakfast at 8 and found out I was the only one left. All the other pilgrims staying in the B&B have already left to start their walk. The old landlady told me that breakfast is supposed to be at 7. I wondered, she didn't tell me that the day before. Or maybe she did, I just didn't get it. I thought I should have practiced a little French.


I went out after that simple breakfast, toasted French bread with jam and café au lait. I brought my bicycle to a repair shop. I also bought some water and food for tomorrow. I went for lunch. The sunny weather brought me to crave for fish, but paella with shrimps and shellfish was the best that I got. Actually that was more than I craved for. I realized though that I was spending too much on food. My lunch cost me EU18.70.


Most of the shops were closed at this time so I went back to the B&B and took a nap until 3pm. When I woke up, I was thinking of something to do. Looking at my stuff, I trimmed it down to my most basic needs. A few kilos have been a burden, including the cute little bottles filled with spring water from Lourdes. So I was off to the post office to send my extra stuff to a hostel in Santiago de Compostela and I shed a hefty EU47.50 for postage. I headed back to the bicycle shop. My bicycle was fixed for a surprisingly cheap EU13. The sky has gone cloudy but I still rode around to take some pictures. I also went to the citadel, the town’s historical pride, and then stopped by the local church.


I was hoping to witness some Christian tradition to happen in the church for this Good Friday. Unfortunately, there was none. Or maybe I kept missing the right timing. So I got back to the B&B when it got dark and the landlady greeted me with, I assumed, something about the circuit breaker. I did not understand French but she was showing me her washing machine, the switch, the electrical wiring and the heater in my room and she would say something like "bang". I could sense that she was blaming me for something that happened while I was gone. Again I wondered, how could that be my fault when I am gone at the time it happened? Now I'm sure I should have studied French.


I was in bed by 7pm. I was ready for tomorrow's leg.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment