Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mio el Camino de Santiago de Compostela -11

Day 11 Burgos --> Carrion


I wasn't feeling guilty for taking the big road yesterday because it wasn't an easy road. So I took the same N-120 route today. To my amazement, unlike yesterday, there were almost no vehicles passing through. It was quiet and I thought it was great.


But of course, it wasn't meant to be easy. After a couple of hours, the wind was no longer cooperative. It kept pushing me back, or sideways, throughout the day. After a climb up, I had to pedal down against the blowing wind. That's all I did for the rest of the day-- battle against the wind.


I reached Carrion as scheduled but as I was about to cross a very wide road curve to exit N-120 and get into the town, the bicycle chain got tangled up. I had to lift up my bicycle and pull over to the shoulder. It took me a while to rearrange it. Maybe I was too excited to get into town that I couldn't concentrate on doing the job right.


The albergue in this town was closed at this time of the year so before it got dark, I checked in at a hostel which happened to be a few steps away from the albergue I just checked. My left ankle started to ache. But I still walked around to find a stamp for my credencial. The only place I knew where to get the stamp was the albergue which was closed.


It was already dark and I couldn't find another place to get a stamp. I decided to have dinner at a local bar. They were offering peregrino dinner. A full dinner course from appetizer to dessert for EU8, available to the pilgrims. After eating dinner, I asked around if there's a place to get a stamp at this hour. It turned out the bar provided stamps. Lucky.


I had a room with a great view facing the church. But even then I slept as early as I could. I was tired.
.

2 comments: