Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mio el Camino de Santiago de Compostela - 2

Day 2


Rainy day...okay, mostly showers. I bought a dozen cute little bottles to fill up with spring water from the grotto. I was thinking these would be my souvenir gifts to my close friends.


I visited the town's local church, which was the church where St. Bernadette was baptized. St. Bernadette was the girl to whom the Virgin Mary appeared. I learned 2008 was the 150th anniversary of the apparition. To celebrate, they organized Chemin du Jubilé (The Jubilee Way), a pilgrimage that will take you down a path to follow the events on the life of St. Bernadette. I thought perhaps this was what the Filipino couple I met yesterday was talking about. The couple was telling me about some penitence of sorts. I, however, wasn't really listening because I was concerned about not finding an Internet café in the neighborhood. I wanted to ask them but I held back, thinking that it was not appropriate.


I didn't think of checking out what the couple told me yesterday, but today I'm all open. It seemed I ought to do it as a pre-pilgrimage before my big pilgrimage. It was actually fun following the white lined path all over the city except where there were constructions and the roads were closed and the lines simply vanish. There's no way to continue the walking pilgrimage unless you walk around a couple of blocks and continue from there. No guides, no directions on where to go next. It's up to you. After circling the same blocks many times unable to find the white lines, I completed the pilgrimage anyway.


Before going to bed, I assembled my bicycle ready for the next day's start of my Camino.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment