Saturday, February 28, 2009

Mio el Camino de Santiago de Compostela -18

Day 18 Sarria --> Arzua


With one day spent for rest and no more days to spare with my Schengen visa, I was determined to go up to Santiago de Compostela today. It's foggy outside but it promised a sunny day. I left the hotel early but as soon as I started to climb uphill, my sweat just won't stop dripping all over my face. Since the first day of my cycling I wore scarf on my head before wearing a helmet to catch the sweat. Today, not only was my forehead sweating, I could feel it coming from the top of my head and it's literally pouring all over my face. I was convinced I was still sick.


But I should go on. Up until noon everything was going as planned. At around 2pm however, the heat has gone up to a scorching degree that I felt I had used up all my energy and I couldn't pedal anymore…on a flat road!


I consumed all my drink because of the heat. Fortunately I saw a bar. I stopped and ordered myself a cold beverage. I rested for about 15 minutes and then I continued on my way. I kept my focus to reach my destination today. Pedal, pedal, pedal... I kept on and on.


When I looked at my watch, it was already past 7pm but the sun was still so high and so was the heat. I had to stop every 10m, not minutes but meters, to cool off.


I felt not progressing as I had hoped. For the first time, I gave up. I didn't reach my day's goal, which would require at least 3 more hours at my current pace. So I got in to the nearest hostel in the humble town of Arzua. My stomach was still empty. I ate dinner at the bar downstairs but I still couldn't take down food well and was feeling a little dizzy. I did my best to get sleep despite my growling upset stomach. Lying down, I thought I was being delirious and was out of my mind. I kept thinking and dreaming of eating banana as this has been my custom to naturally fix my upset stomach.


I was dreaming of eating bananas.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment