Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mio el Camino de Santiago de Compostela -14

Day 14 Leon --> Astorga


The shortest segment of my travel.


Early along the way, I stopped at a church in La Virgen del Camino which was said to be a miraculous site. The church was unique and probably the most modern church I saw in my entire pilgrimage. I got inside and spent a few minutes. After getting a stamp on my credencial at the souvenir shop, I went on.


But, with the strong wind, it took me longer to reach Astorga than I had planned. So I took time, I was not in a hurry. Besides, my left ankle has not fully recovered yet. I thought I met a lot of walking pilgrims today. Maybe because my pace was not that faster than walking. If my ankle was not hurt, maybe I tried walking my route today.


I arrived in Astorga around noontime. It was a small but beautiful town with historic buildings. Even the town hall looked like an old Gothic cathedral. After checking in my stuff at the first albergue I saw, I was immediately back on my bicycle and took a general view of the town before eating my lunch.


I went to the cathedral after my late lunch but it's already closed. I thought I still have about an hour before the closing time so I checked with the person at the ticket office but he confirmed that it was indeed closed. I looked my watch and thought that this region must be 1-hour advance than eastern Spain.


So anyway, I walked around the town, taking pictures here and there, and then stumbled on a little church. I went in and took a picture of the altar. On my way out, I saw that the back of the church was a wall of bars. Behind the bars were praying nuns. I realized it was a church run by those nuns. I was probably blocking them pray while I stood taking pictures in the middle of the isle. When I exited the little but beautiful church, I made sure I did not show my face to the nuns.


It was getting late and a little cold although the sun still has a few more minutes to set. I went back to the albergue and spent the rest of my day there. The albergue was on top of the hill and the view from my room was great. While enjoying the view, I immersed myself to the rays of the setting sun coming in through the window.


I took a shower in the communal room before retiring to bed.
.

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying reading your blog very much. But it is interesting seeing the walker/cyclist differences. Leon-Astorga might have been your shortest day, but for most of us, that was two days journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading this blog. Yes, Leon-Astorga was a short distance for the cycling pilgrim but would you believe that in general, my cycling pace was slow compared to most of the cyclists? The distance I cover each day was shorter than what I have read on the net. I walked most of my way uphill. But at least I enjoyed the view :)

    ReplyDelete