Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mio el Camino de Santiago de Compostela -16

Day 16 Villafranca --> Sarria


Great weather today.


But then I remembered, it's April Fool's day. I thought I shouldn't be fooled by the fine looking weather.


Daylight savings time was being implemented so I couldn't leave until 8am because it was still dark. I had a long mountainous climb up until past noon. I was cycling until the early afternoon but it was still rather cold.


But after having a break and eating my lunch, the temperature rose. It became so hot that my inner shirt was soaked with sweat. Up there in the open road I changed to a simple T-shirt and it felt so refreshing. The view from O'Cebreiro at an altitude of more than a thousand meters was magnificent.


After a few more minutes, my descent began and it was a long way down. I wasn't sure if it was the good weather but the views were so stunning that I thought I was merely floating. Even with the wind blowing in my ears, I could still hear the birds singing. The scene that I could hardly describe in words are still so vivid in my mind. It's like an unforgettable dream. Only that it was real.


So smooth the ride that I arrived earlier than scheduled in Sarria. I was happy and contented. Thankful that I did not encounter any difficulty in today's leg. I searched for an albergue with a private room, or a room with 2 person maximum occupancy but there was none or was already occupied. So I checked myself in a business hotel.


Since the sun was still high, I walked around and did some food shopping to eat on the road for the next days ahead. While browsing for food, my eyes fixated on the yummy looking deep fried pork cracklings. I bought 2 packs, together with the smallest bottle of vinegar available, which was actually a big 500ml, to dip in the fried bits. I knew I was up for a food fiesta tonight.


When I got back to the hotel, I turned the TV on and watched while eating the fried pork bits. I looked at what I bought and found out that I forgot to buy some drinks. Good thing they had coca-cola in the hotel fridge. The yummy pork cracklings and the soda I nursed with it immediately made me feel full and sleepy.


Then around midnight, I felt like throwing up. Without opening my eyes, I tried to raise my pillows thinking that maybe I had eaten too much. But an hour later, I felt really sick and when I went to the bathroom I threw up. A lot.


Relieved and still sleepy, I went back to bed. A few minutes passed, however, I felt sick again. I got to the bathroom and threw up again. And again. And again. I was throwing up all night.


I didn't get away with April Fool's after all.
.

1 comment:

  1. A shame about the end to the day! But I also enjoyed tremendous views from O'Cebreiro and it remains a highlight in my memory.

    ReplyDelete